Friday, November 5, 2010

Unschooling

Why is it that every single year I always start out the year as a schooler? I fall back to what I 'think' I should be doing, set up a whole years worth of work only to bang my head into the wall wall and probably through it to realize we are unschoolers?

I love letting the kids learn what they are interested in. Jake has never read a full book for pleasure in his life, he decided he wanted to, he read a book. He was so happy and shared it with everyone...not much celebration as he scored 50% on a science test and needed to retake the test. What the heck is wrong with me?
Jakob read a book!!!
That's not to say the child has never read before but he reads articles and studies Non fiction. We are all a family of readers and I was so sad that we did not celebrate his coming into the reading nook with us.

Jake is grade 10, he has excellent marks so far but I see how his brain is becoming mush. He is trying to only answer the questions on the page not learn the information. He does not learn anything. He is getting through. What's the point? But he is highschool age. Oh dear oh dear.

Well we are unschoolers, I think I need to really evaluate what is important to me and go from there. There has to be a balance..not 100% either way. I know for sure that I want the kids to learn and actually learn things, not simply answer questions for a test and forget the information.

Where to go from here? What to do? I am pretty sure I know what to do, why do I allow fear of the education system that fails so many kids to rule me?

I must go read about unschooling and start being honest with myself.

And my children will lead me......

No comments: